Saturday, April 24, 2010

Taking the Plunge

Well... after much thought and a little convincing, I've finally taken the plunge and decided to create a blog to chronicle my cooking and anything else that comes to mind. I feel it's a bit necessary to explain how this blog has come about, interesting story or not. My entire unit recently moved buildings at work, which meant I would be subjected to a new seating chart. Keep in mind that I loved my quiet, off the beaten path spot at Corporate, so I was very apprehensive about the move. As much as I dreaded this new arrangement... the new building, the drive that's further away from Zoe's daycare, and the new podmates (as we call them at the Farm), it has really been a delightful experience. I've become good friends with my new neighbors, and our daily visits often include the quirky stories of my dramatic almost three year old and a discussion of "what did you make for supper?" Also, as crazy as it may sound, the cafeteria at my new work home leaves a bit to be desired, so I bit the bullet and bought a new lunch bag. As a result, I often hear, "Ooooh, that smells good, what did you bring today Ang?"

I would be remiss to mention that my sweet neighbor and friend Sruthi, who was born and raised in India loves to sample my dishes and has been begging me to start a recipe blog as she will be returning to India mid-May. (Her smile, laughter, and warm personality will be greatly missed... and I will be saddened to lose my new confidante.)

Anyway, here goes... my first recipe early on a Saturday morning in April is Bacon and Dill Cheddar Jack Quiche. Please keep in mind that all my measurements are approximate because I do not measure anything when I cook. I will try to be precise as I convert into teaspoons and tablespoons, but your cooking should be seasoned to your taste preferences. I will also try to include pictures when I have the time, but please keep in mind that I am not a photographer.

I first have to say that quiche is one of my favorite dishes to make because it is quick, easy and almost always turns out delicious. It's nothing for me to throw a Friday night Tex Mex Chicken dip into a Saturday morning quiche. I've discovered a few things about quiche since I've been making them. The first is that you should always keep frozen deep dish crusts in the freezer. I learned a long time ago from the best cream pie baker east of the Mississippi, well maybe even in the entire country, that Walmart has the best generic pie crust. Yes, Grandmother Ruth made this discovery and since has retired her homemade crust recipe. I'm also delighted that I was able to share a quiche with my Grandmother on her last visit, and she's asked me to share my recipe with her. Although I could never rival her pies, it's nice to know that I've inherited her love of the kitchen. The other secret to a delicious quiche is to get out the hand mixer and mix it for a minute or two. You will be amazed at how much creamier your quiche will be. (Thanks Liz for this wonderful tip.) So without further ado, please enjoy my quiche:

Bacon and Dill Cheddar Jack Quiche

Frozen deep dish pie crust
3 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup cottage cheese
1/4 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheddar jack cheese
3 green onions, chopped
4 slices bacon, chopped
1/2 t ground mustard
1/2 t seasoned salt
1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
1 t dill

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake pie crust on cookie sheet for 10 minutes. Mix all ingredients with hand mixer 1-2 minutes. Pour mixture into cooled crust and bake 50 minutes or until center is set. Let sit a few minutes, cut and serve.








No comments:

Post a Comment